However, the 3 hour trip was ..... what? How can I describe it?
I could be positive and say it was an adventure.
I could be realistic and say it was terrifying!
In Bologna, most of the roads are very narrow and you have to breathe in before squashing between a parked car on one side and a passing car on the other side. I knew that driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, and changing gears with my right hand, would require my full attention for a while. However, in addition to that challenge, I discovered that most Italian drivers never use their indicator and seem happy to change lanes at any time and without warning. Phew. There were some anxious moments. There are also lots of bikes and scooters zipping in and out of the traffic, so it can be quite hairy.
I kept thinking it would be easier when I got out of crowded Bologna and on to the highways. Not so. The highways were worse! Many Italian drivers ignore speed limits (even when the limit is 130 km/hr) and many swerve across the highway at high speed and right in front of you -- all without indicating of course.
I worked in the US many times and used to cope with driving on the 'wrong' side over there, but US drivers, like most drivers in Australia, usually indicate when they are going to change lanes or turn a corner.
Travelling south from Bologna towards Florence:
Approaching yet another tunnel:
This photo helps you to see how strong the sunshine has been. Coming out of a dark tunnel into the full sunlight required about three pairs of sunglasses.
Enough of the highway!
Far better to show what we found at the end of the journey to Fiorino. We were a little earlier than expected, so we headed for the beach at Cecina.
The sand is grey colour and full of stones or even small rocks. However, on the left side, you can see that the sand has been cleared of stones and raked.
On the left side, there are hundreds of beach umbrellas, beach chairs and banana lounges. Of course, you PAY to go on the left side. Probably worth it.
More important, the restaurant right on the beach had gluten-free food suitable for Daryl. He was in heaven. I had a salmon pasta and is was yummy. I also get to eat all the bread delivered in the basket, so I was happy too.
After lunch, Andrea met us at his house. It's fantastic accommodation for a holiday! Do we call him by his Australian name (Andrew) or do we now call him by his Italian name, On-DRAY-uh?
Roberta was working, but we'll meet her and the two boys (Thomas and Nicholas) tomorrow. While we have their house, they are staying in their holiday caravan down on the beach.
They left the fridge full of food for us -- different cuts of meat, sausages, milk, bread, butter, eggs, cheese ... you name it. So thoughtful!
After showing us around the house, Andrea took us into Cecina and showed us the best restaurants, the best coffee places, etc. He then bought us gelato and 'lemon ice' sorbet. Perfect for the hot weather. Then he went into a shop to get a cake they had ordered for us:
Please meet the Stefanelli family:
Thoms Andrea Roberta Nicholas









No comments:
Post a Comment