Monday, 7 September 2015

Sat 5 & Sun 6 Sept: Fiorino (Tuscany)

No report about yesterday.  It was a "day off" from "the hard work of being a tourist" !!!   Besides, after tackling some of Italy's freeways the day before, I needed a CALMING day.

SATURDAY 5 SEPT

On Saturday, we explored the local area of Fiorino and Cecina.  There are miles of beaches along the Cecina coastline and hundreds (yes, hundreds!) of cafés, restaurants, gelateria and other food places.

Good friend and colleague, Lorraine Wilson, flew from Malta up to Pisa Airport.  The weather further south had been atrocious, so many flights were delayed.  Since Daryl wasn't feeling great, he stayed at 'home' and I left for Pisa Airport at about 9:30 pm so that I'd have plenty of time to find my way around the unknown airport when I got there.  Just as well I left early and that the flight arrived later than expected.  For some reason, TomTom took me on the back roads.  I didn't realise  --  until it was too late to turn around.  It was pitch black (no street lights) and I'd never been to Pisa or anywhere near it so I had no sense of direction.  I put my life in the hands of technology!!!  There was a strong wind blowing, I had no idea where I was, and I just kept hoping that TomTom would eventually get me there.  (Neil Davey - it was similar to the situation in which we found ourselves in Malta some years ago.)

Anyway, what was supposed to be a 40 minute drive turned into something over an hour.  I was so relieved to finally see "Aeroporto" signs.  Once I got to the airport, someone/something was guiding me, because I managed to get in all the right lanes and even park in the most appropriate car park.

I went to the International arrivals, but did not see Lorraine come through security until 10 minutes past midnight!  OMG, now it was time to face the long drive back 'home'.  TomTom took us around the coast this time, but because it was past midnight, all we could see was a huge, pitch black void.  Sometimes, we were suddenly aware that we were on a bridge and travelling over water.  Remember, all this time I was driving on the "wrong" side of the road and changing gears with my right hand and having other cars go flying past at speeds well over the limit.  Phew.  Finally got 'home' just before 2 am.  We had to sit and chat and calm down, so it was 3 am before our heads hit our pillows.


SUNDAY 6 SEPT

Fortunately, we planned this day to be a "rest" day.  We certainly needed it after the experience of the night before.

We had a leisurely breakfast out on the "terrace" to start the day:




Then we showed Lorraine around Fiorino and Cecina and did basic but necessary things like shopping!  By accident, we found this market down near the beach:







The grey sand is full of rocks and pebbles, but there are huge areas that have been 'raked' to leave just the sand.  I've never seen so many beach umbrellas, deck chairs and banana lounges in my life!  No wonder they refer to the "Italian Riviera".






And of course, cars are parked everywhere.  Even over the pedestrian crossings!  (We assume there are no parking inspectors.  Well, we've never seen one anyway.)




That night, we went to Casale Marittimo  --  an amazing, medieval village just 15 minutes away.  (More about it tomorrow.)

I went with Andrea (On-DRAY-uh) in his new Porsche.  Daryl and Lorraine went with Roberta and the two boys.



I took this photo from the internet to show you the village from a distance and during the day (we arrived at dusk).  



Left to right:  Andrea (On-DRAY-uh) in the green T-shirt, pushing Nicholas
                                      Roberta and Thomas
                                                                                          Lorraine and Daryl










 Roberta watching out for Thomas







Bewdiful !!!









 Even people who live in medieval villages have to do their washing!














No comments:

Post a Comment